Monday, April 21, 2008

Don't trust the scale - If it's too good to be true it usually is

2008 started off with a bang! It was the first time ever that my New Year's Resolution did not involve losing weight of any kind. By Christmas I had shed the 45 pounds I had put on during my second pregnancy. You can imagine my relief when I finally did not have to worry about lower back pain or sore shoulders from lugging around very large breasts. When I reached my goal it was time to celebrate.

To top it off I even asked my trainer Pam to do a Body Fat Ratio test and a BMI test to see exactly where I was at. I was happy to see that all of my numbers were great. My body fat was what I was most proud of - It was 19% - officially in the "athletic range"!!!

For the next couple of months the number on the scale stayed the same. This however gave me a false sense of confidense that I could eat and do whatever I wanted. And so I did! I started baking desserts nearly every day. Thanks to the Martha Stewart Baking Handbook and the Food Network I had the inspiration and the tools to do just that. Everyday was an adventure! I made cookies, scones, brownies, cakes and even pies. And though I wouldn't eat it all, I would eat more than I should have especially because it was organic and therefore practically guilt-free. It wasn't long before I started feeling differently. But again, the number on the scale was the same so I didn't really worry too much.

Needless to say, my daily dessert FIESTA came to a screaching HALT when my trainer tested my body fat again. I was DEVASTATED to find out that my body fat ratio had gone up by 2% even though I still weighed the exact same amount. Damn that scale! I should have known it was too good to be true!

Talk about a reality check! From now on I will be a little more mindful about what I put into my body even if the numbers on the scale are the same. Effective of today, I vow to get my body fat down to 18%. By Memorial Day I want to be just as buff as Jillian Michaels. As for the desserts, maybe I will treat myself when reach my goal. I think I can go 5 weeks without eating dessert. How hard could it be???






1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is so hilarious. I was about to say. I almost thought..wow, angel sweets and no weight gain? Amazing..send some this way..It had to be too good to be true..