Thursday, April 24, 2008

cleaning products - Good Enough to Drink?

I took the advice of a friend yesterday and decided to blow bubbles for my 1 year old son Alejandro, as a way of encouraging him to walk. When I started blowing bubbles, I quickly realized that the bubble blowing solution was a little watered down. So I put the bottle down and in an awesome display of super mommy ingenuity I picked up my new organic, all natural, non-toxic, dishwashing detergent, poured a little in a kid cup and attempted to blow bubbles again.

Much to my dismay, this did not work very well either. Without hesitation I gave up my efforts, put the soap-filled cup down and before I knew it, Alejandro was long gone. While I was "troubleshooting" with bubbles he was rummaging through daddy's leftover spaghetti in the next room.

Needless to say I gave up and decided to just sit and play with Alejandro. Two minutes later we hear a scream from the guest room that sounds like "Chucky" that scary red-headed doll from the 90's was attacking my daughter. Seconds later we see flashes of a 5 year old running around the living room, holding her tongue and yelling at the top of her lungs.

As it turned out, she took the glass that was laced with dishwashing detergent, filled it up with water and took a big swig. Within seconds Jeff and I were scurrying to find instructions on the bottle and debating whether or not to call poison control. Three minutes later we finally spotted the small print on the bottle that said, "In case of ingestion, do not induce vomiting; drink plenty of water to dilute". And so that's just what we did. By bedtime we made sure Sasha drank at least 16 ounces of water. In addition to that she had about five ounces of milk. Phew! I was really proud of how we handled that. All was good in the world.

Well at least for a second or two hours to be exact. At midnight, get this...Sasha woke up, walked to the bathroom and peed five feet away from the toilet! All while sleepwalking! Oops, better throw in a load of laundry. A woman's work is never done.

I suppose the lesson here is that you never put a child to bed with a full bladder. I suppose the other lesson is, just because it's organic, doesn't always mean it's good to eat. :)

To read more from Tania, click on the link below:

No comments: